Assignment: Procedure Guide on Restoring a System
Part of implementing Ken 7 Windows’ new enterprise resource planning (ERP) software is setting up a new recovery procedure for each type of computer. These procedures will guide administrators in recovering a failed computer to a condition as near to the point of failure as possible. The goal is to minimize both downtime and data loss. You have already implemented the following backup strategies for workstation computers:
– All desktop workstations were originally installed from a single image for Ken 7 Windows standard workstations. The base image is updated with all patches and new software installed on live workstations.
– Desktop workstation computer execute a backup of identified folders that contain new and modified files every night at 1:00 a.m. Desktop workstation backups generally take less than 10 minutes.
Using the format below, describe the steps necessary to recover a desktop workstation computer that encounters a disk drive failure at 5:30 a.m. local time. The user arrived at work and found that the computer would not boot.
Answer the following questions:
1. How much data has been modified between the last backup and the time of failure?
2. What images are necessary to recover the workstation?
3. What are the steps necessary to fix the problem that cause the data loss?
4. What steps should Ken 7 take to avoid a reoccurrence of this issue in the future?
Format: Microsoft Word