TITLE: NETWORK DESIGN PROJECT
For this project, you will utilize content from the readings of previous weeks, as well as the
learnings from course labs to create a report describing the network design (and other host-based
measures) necessary to address common security issues in a large, complex network for the
fictitious company Liberty Beverages. In addition, you will select a specialty topic as described
below to the extend the architecture to incorporate a new initiative the company is implementing.
1. Course textbook – Vacca
2. Labs 1-7
3. Other external resources for selected specialty topic
1. Assume that you are designing a network architecture for a complex enterprise with a
diverse application, user community, and end-user device mix. This enterprise has
exposure to the Internet in addition to providing remote access for employees to internal
sites via a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
2. Choose a specialty topic from Module/Week 8 (Cellular Security, Cloud Security,
Optical Wireless Security, RFID Security, Industrial Security, Bluetooth Security, or
Internet of Things (IOT) Security). Sample references are included in Blackboard. Note
that any other topic besides these must be approved in advance by the instructor.
3. Create a network diagram for the fictitious Liberty Beverages Corporation using any
diagramming tool you wish (e.g., Visio, MS Paint, application at http://www.draw.io ) for
the diagram– but either embed in the report or include as a standalone attachment the
visual representation of the drawing. Include at least the following elements:
a. Remote devices used by employees and vendors
b. Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) facing externally
d. IDS/IPS solution
f. Components integrated from chosen specialty topic
4. Describe and define the following security threats with at least a paragraph each. Also
describe what makes each vulnerability a threat and impact to the business.
a. Denial of Service (DOS) and Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) attacks
b. Worms, virus, Trojan horses, and other malware.
c. Man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks
d. Rootkit injections
e. Misconfiguration of remote mobile devices
5. Document how five (5) or more components and measures in the network architecture, as
well as host-based measures address the security threats from the previous step. The
components could be a combination of software or hardware in nature – such as firewalls,
IDS/IPS, routers, switches, anti-virus/malware software, full-disk encryption (FDE) and
encryption in transit, remote device management software, etc.
6. Describe in three (3) or more paragraphs the specific security threats regarding the
specialty topic you chose.
7. Describe in three (3) or more paragraphs the security controls (and their rationale for
inclusion) that you will implement to mitigate against the security threats of the chosen
8. Beyond the network design, what additional procedural/governance measures do you
recommend to address security concerns (e.g., training, procedures, policies)? Describe in
two (2) or more paragraphs at least one measure.
9. Describe in one or more paragraphs how biblical principles come to bear with your
proposed design and approach. Include specific scriptural references.
Write a project report in a research-based paper in current APA format that includes all the
instructions described above. It should be ten (10) or more double-spaced pages inclusive of the
content, a title page, as well as a reference page with at least 10 references in addition to the
course textbook and the Bible.