Review the USA Patriot Act of 2001 and the sunset provisions of 2002, 2005, 2010, and 2011. If you were in the position as director of Homeland Security, do you feel that the USA Patriot Act is effective in the fight against domestic terrorism? What would you do to improve it? Support your argument.
Your journal entry must be at least 200 words. No references or citations are necessary.
In 1973, the United Nations adopted a treaty, the Prevention and Punishment of Crimes Against Internationally Protected Persons, including Diplomatic Agents. In 2012, insurgents attacked U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi, Libya, and killed the U.S. Ambassador and several Central Intelligence Agency security contractors. For this assignment, review the aforementioned incident, and conduct research on this incident.
Provide a minimum of three scholarly references to support your analysis.
Complete the following tasks:
1. Examine the purpose of the treaty.
2. Describe the attack on the U.S. diplomatic facilities.
3. As a partner in the treaty, assess whether the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and other participating countries adequately responded to the attack on the U.S. diplomatic facilities.
4. In your opinion, did the intelligence community recognize the shortcomings of the international treaty?
5. After the Benghazi attack, what actions did the U.S. federal government take to protect U.S. diplomatic agents and facilities?
Your assignment should be at least two pages in length, not including the title and reference pages. Use APA formatting when writing your responses. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced, and quoted or paraphrased material must have accompanying in-text citations.
ALL WORK MUST BE ORIGINAL, AND WILL BE USING TURN IT IN TO ENSURE. IF YOU CAN NOT DO ORIGINAL WORK AND USE COMPLETE SENTENCES, WITH IN TEXT CITIATIONS, DO NOT APPLY.