1. If APR = 10%, what is the EAR (effective annual rate) for quarterly compounding?
2. If the current one year CD rate is 3% and the best estimate of one year CD which will be available one year from today is 5%, what is the current two year CD rate with 1% liquidity premium?
3. Which of the following statements is CORRECT, assuming positive interest rates and holding other things constant?
a. The present value of a 5-year, $250 annuity due will be lower than the PV of a similar ordinary annuity.
b. A 30-year, $150,000 amortized mortgage will have larger monthly payments than an otherwise similar 20-year mortgage.
c. A bank loan’s nominal interest rate will always be equal to or greater than its effective annual rate.
d. If an investment pays 10% interest, compounded quarterly, its effective annual rate will be greater than 10%.
e. Banks A and B offer the same nominal annual rate of interest, but A pays interest quarterly and B pays semiannually. Deposits in Bank B will provide the higher future value if you leave your funds on deposit.
4. You have a chance to buy an annuity that pays $550 at the beginning of each year for 3 years. You could earn 5.5% on your money in other investments with equal risk. What is the most you should pay for the annuity?
5. Your aunt has $500,000 invested at 5.5%, and she now wants to retire. She wants to withdraw $45,000 at the beginning of each year, beginning immediately. She also wants to have $50,000 left to give you when she ceases to withdraw funds from the account. For how many years can she make the $45,000 withdrawals and still have $50,000 left in the end?
6. How much do you need to save each year from two years from today and onward so that you can have $1,000 six years from today at 10% interest rate?
7. Jennifer can make a 100,000 down payment to buy a house. The house is $380,000 and she was offered 30-year mortgage and 15-year mortgage at a market rate of 12%. How much more interest would Jennifer pay if she took out a 30-year mortgage instead 15-year mortgage?
8. How long will it take for you to pay off $1,500 charged on your credit card, if you plan to make the minimum payment of $15 per month and the credit card charges 24% per annum?
a. 10 months
b. 35 months
c. 10 years
d. 863 months
e. You may not be able to pay off the debt
9. 5-year Treasury bonds yield 5.5%. The inflation premium (IP) is 1.9%, and the maturity risk premium (MRP) on 5-year T-bonds is 0.4%. There is no liquidity premium on these bonds. What is the real risk-free rate, r*?
10. Suppose the interest rate on a 1-year T-bond is 5.0% and that on a 2-year T-bond is 7.0%. Assuming the pure expectations theory is correct, what is the market’s forecast for 1-year rates 1 year from now?
a. The yield on a 2 year corporate bond should always exceed the yield on a 2 year Treasury bond.
b. The yield on a 3 year corporate bond should always exceed the yield on a 2 year corporate bond.
c. The yield on a 2 year Treasury bond should always exceed the yield on a 2 year Treasury bond.
d. If inflation is expected to increase, then the yield on a 2 year bond should exceed that on a 3 year bond.
e. The real risk-free rate should increase if people expect inflation to increase.
12. 5-year T-bonds yield 4.75%. The real risk-free rate is r* = 3.60%, and the maturity risk premium for all bonds is found with the formula MRP = (t – 1) × 0.1%, where t = number of years to maturity. What inflation premium (IP) is built into 5-year bond yields using 5-year T-bonds?
13. Suppose the real risk-free rate is 3.50%, the average future inflation rate is 2.50%, a maturity premium of 0.2% per year to maturity applies, i.e., MRP = 0.20%(t), where t is the years to maturity. Suppose also that a liquidity premium of 0.50% and a default risk premium of 1.35% applies to A-rated corporate bonds. What is the difference in the yields on a 5-year A-rated corporate bond and on a 10-year Treasury bond? Here we assume that the pure expectations theory is NOT valid, and disregard any cross-product terms, i.e., if averaging is required, use the arithmetic average.
14 What is the relationship between PVIFA(r%, N) and PVIF(r%, N)?
a. PVIFA is greater than or equal to PVIF
b. PVIF is a sum of PVIFA from n=1 to n=N
c. PVIF is an inverse of PVIFA
d. PVIF is used for an annuity
e. None of the above
15. Ryngaert Inc. recently issued noncallable bonds that mature in 15 years. They have a par value of $1,000 and an annual coupon of 5.7%. If the current market interest rate is 7.0%, at what price should the bonds sell?
16. Sadik Inc.’s bonds currently sell for $1,180 and have a par value of $1,000. They pay a $105 annual coupon and have a 15-year maturity, but they can be called in 5 years at $1,100. What is their yield to call (YTC)?
17. In calculating the current price of a bond paying semiannual coupons, one needs to
a. Use double the number of payments.
b. Use half the annual coupon.
c. Use double the annual market rate as the discount rate.
d. All of the above need to be done.
e. Only a and b are true.
18. Bonds sell at a premium from par value when market rates for similar bonds are
a. Less than the bond’s coupon rate.
b. Greater than the bond’s coupon rate.
c. Equal to the bond’s coupon rate.
d. Both lower than and equal to the bond’s coupon rate.
e. Market rates are irrelevant in determining a bond’s price.
19. Assume that all interest rates in the economy decline from 10% to 9%. Which of the following bonds would have the largest percentage increase in price?
a. An 8-year bond with a 9% coupon.
b. A 1-year bond with a 15% coupon.
c. A 3-year bond with a 10% coupon.
d. A 10-year zero coupon bond.
e. A 10-year bond with a 10% coupon.
20. A portfolio with a level of systematic risk less than that of the market has a beta that is
a. equal to zero.
b. greater than zero but less than one.
c. less than the beta of the risk-free asset.
d. less than zero.
e. equal to infinity.
21. Cooley Company’s stock has a beta of 1.40, the risk-free rate is4.25%, and the market risk premium is5.50%. What is the firm’s required rate of return?
22. Consider the following information and then calculate the required rate of return for the Global Investment Fund, which holds 4 stocks. The market’s required rate of return is 13.25%, the risk-free rate is 7.00%, and the Fund’s assets are as follows:
Stock Investment Beta
A $200,000 1.50
B $300,000 -0.50
C $500,000 1.25
D $1,000,000 0.75
23. Stock A has a beta of 0.8 and Stock B has a beta of 1.2. 50% of Portfolio P is invested in Stock A and 50% is invested in Stock B. If the market risk premium (rM ? rRF) were to increase but the risk-free rate (rRF) remained constant, which of the following would occur?
a. The required return would increase for both stocks but the increase would be greater for Stock B than for Stock A.
b. The required return would decrease by the same amount for both Stock A and Stock B.
c. The required return would increase for Stock A but decrease for Stock B.
d. The required return on Portfolio P would remain unchanged.
e. The required return would increase for Stock B but decrease for Stock A.
24. Consider the following information and then calculate the projected expected rate of return for the Global Investment Fund, which holds 3 stocks.
Stock Investment Projected Expected Return for Each Security
A $200,000 15%
B $300,000 -5%
C $500,000 10%
25. What is the coefficient of variation for security b?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.