1. Which one of the following is a capital structure decision?
a. Should a new machine be purchased this year?
b. Should the credit terms offered to customers be revised?
c. Should debt or equity financing be used to purchase a building?
d. Should the level of inventory be increased?
2. Which one of the following functions is generally under the control of the corporate treasurer?
a. cost accounting
b. tax management
c. financial planning
d. financial accounting
3. Which one of the following best describes the liability a general partner has for the partnership debts?
b. liability limited to amount invested in the firm
c. liability limited based on percentage ownership
4. Which one of the following provides you with the greatest control over a firm’s daily operations?
a. limited partner
b. major stockholder in a corporation
c. minor stockholder in a joint stock company
d. sole proprietor
5. A limited partner:
a. has no personal responsibility for the debts incurred by the partnership.
b. is guaranteed a return of his or her entire investment in the partnership if the partnership terminates.
c. can only control the daily operations for an individual segment of the partnership.
d. has minimal control, if any, over the daily operations of the partnership.
6. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act in 2002 is designed to protect the public against:
a. a firm’s net operating losses if those losses extend beyond a 2-year period.
b. declines in the market value of a firm’s outstanding shares of stock.
c. financial malpractice and accounting fraud.
d. a firm’s issuing additional shares of stock if the issue will reduce the market value of the current
7. Who has the ultimate control over a corporation?
b. chief executive officer
c. chairman of the board
d. board of directors
8. Which one of the following is a primary market transaction?
a. Theo, the president of ABC, sells some of his shares in ABC on the NYSE
b. ABC offers newly issued shares to the general public
c. Tom instructs his broker to sell all of his shares in ABC, Inc.
d. Mary gifts shares of ABC stock to her son
Use these financial statements to answer questions 9 through 13.
2007 2008 2007 2008
Cash $ 1,700 $ 1,600 Accounts payable $13,800 $ 12,900
Accounts receivable 14,300 17,400 Long-term debt 47,500 48,600
Inventory 22,500 23,700 Common stock 17,000 22,000
Net fixed assets 82,900 81,600 Retained earnings 43,100 40,800
Total assets $121,400 $124,300 Total liabilities and equity $121,400 $124,300
Net Sales $163,700
Taxable income 37,600
Net Income $ 24,400
9. What is the amount of the operating cash flow?
a. $24,400 b. $30,500 c. $38,500 d. $42,300
10 What is the cash flow to stockholders for 2008?
a. $5,000 b. $19,400 c. $21,700 d. $29,400
11. What is the net new borrowing for 2008?
a. -$2,700 b. $200 c. $1,100 d. $4,900
12. What is the change in net working capital for 2008?
a. $5,100 b. $6,300 c. $24,700 d. $25,200
13. What is the cash flow to creditors for 2008?
a. -$2,700 b. -$1,100 c. $1,100 d. $2,700
14. A firm currently has an average tax rate of 20 percent and a marginal tax rate of 25 percent based on its
current taxable income of $36,600. What will the firm’s average tax rate be if it increases its taxable income by $1,100?
a. 20 percent b. 20.05 percent c. 20.09 percent d. 20.15 percent
15. Redding Industrial Supply had common stock of $6,800 and retained earnings of $4,925 at the beginning ofthe year. At the end of the year, the common stock balance is $7,000 and the retained earnings account balance is $5,498. The net income for the year is $938. What is the retention ratio?
a. 17.59 percent b. 38.91 percent c. 61.09 percent d. 82.41 percent
16. Which one of the following formulas is correct?
a. Profit margin = EBIT / Sales
b. Capital intensity ratio = 1 / Return on assets
c. ROA = ROE / Equity multiplier
d. Quick ratio = Cash / Current liabilities
17. If a firm uses cash to purchase inventory, its quick ratio will increase.
18. Use the following tax table to answer this question.
Pools, Inc., has taxable income of $77,000 for the year. Which one of the following statements is correct concerning Pools’ tax situation?
Pools’ average tax rate is 18.74 percent.
Pools’ average tax rate is 34.00 percent.
Pools’ marginal tax rate is 15.00 percent.
Pools’ marginal tax rate is 18.74 percent.
19. You currently have $7,200 in your investment account. You can earn an average rate of return of 11.7 percent per year. How long will you have to wait until your account is worth $50,000?
a. 9.47 years b. 11.28 years c. 14.67 years d. 17.51 years
20. Your savings account is currently worth $1,200. The account pays 4.5 percent interest compounded annually. How much will your account be worth 6 years from now?
a. $1,524.00 b. $1,562.71 c. $1,611.18 d. $1,627.19
21. You purchased a new1972 Plymouth Barracuda Ragtop with a 426-Hemi36years ago at a cost of $3,900. You took care of this car, realizing it’s divine nature. Today, you sold that car for $1,750,000 in order to afford tuition and meals and buy a little gas for your moped. What annual rate of return did you earn on this vehicle?
a.1.42 percent b.18.48percent c. 8.48percent d. 8.38 percent
22. The Corner Bank is offering you a credit card with an APR of 12.9 percent. The bank compounds the interest rate on a monthly basis. What is the effective annual rate?
a. 13.69 percent b. 13.87 percent c. 14.03 percent d. 14.14 percent
23. A preferred stock is currently valued at $62.80 a share and pays an annual dividend of $7. The par value is
$100 per share. What is the rate of return on this security?
a. 8.97 percent b. 10.58 percent c. 11.15 percent d. 11.33 percent
24. Over the past 30 years your parents saved money each month for their retirement. They retired this week and expect to live another 28 years. Their investment account is currently valued at $487,300 and is expected to earn 7 percent annually in the future. How much money can they withdraw annually if they wish to spend all of their money during their lifetime?
a. $5,158.75 b. $6,038.59 c. $39,269.75 d. $40,149.59
25. Suzie has $16,000 in her investment account today. She saves $500 a quarter and earns 8 percent interest, compounded quarterly. How much money will she have in her account three years from now?
a. $16,821.87 b. $18,509.53 c. $22,300.16 d. $26,997.91
26. Tom invested $150 at the beginning of each month for the last 14 years and earned 6 percent interest, compounded monthly. Julia invested $300 at the end of each month for the past 7 years and earned 6 percent interest, compounded monthly. Today, Tom has ______ than Julia.
a. $8,164.15 less
b. $8,320.26 less
c. $8,164.15 more
d. $8,320.26 more
27. A series of equal cash flows that occur at the beginning of each time period for a limited number of time periods is called a(n):
a. ordinary annuity.
b. beginning annuity.
c. annuity due.
e. perpetuity due.
28. In Canada and the United Kingdom, a perpetuity is also called a(n):
b. infinite bond.
c. infinity flow.
e. forever bond.
29. Which type of loan is comparable to the present value of a future lump sum?
a. effective annual rate
d. annual percentage
e. pure discount
30. Which one of the following is a correct statement, all else held constant?
a. The present value is inversely related to the future value.
b. The future value is inversely related to the period of time.
c. The period of time is directly related to the interest rate.
d. The present value is inversely related to the interest rate.
e. The interest rate is inversely related to the future value.
31. Which one of the following is a breakdown of the ROE into its three component parts?
a. equity analysis
b. efficiency breakout
c. Du Pont identity
d. sustainable growth
e. profitability ratios
32. Suppose given NI= $132,186, Sales = $2,678,461, TA = $784,596 and Debt/Asset = 0.48062. Calc ROE.
d. not this one either.
33. (5 Points) In 2006 a 50-cent piece (0.50 coin) issued in 1904 sold for $1,300. What is the rate of return on this investment? Show your work.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.